- Prep: 15 Mins / Cook: 10 Mins
- Serves 2
The humble hash brown is a delicious component of the classic English breakfast. Typically made from dairy, here we have created a vegan and healthier hash brown and from just 5 ingredients! Super easy to make and gluten free, its a great addition to a wholesome fried breakfast in your meal plan!Gluten Free Dairy Free Under 30 mins
* Switch between cup/oz and g/ml in Account Settings*
- White Potatoes White Potatoes 400g 1 & 3/4 cups
- Table Salt Table Salt 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch Cornflour 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil Olive Oil 3 tbsp 3 tbsp
- Ground Black Pepper Ground Black Pepper pinch pinch
- 1.Wash and peel potatoes and then grate with largest holes on a grater.
- 2.Place it in a small ceramic bowl in a stainless steel saucepan and steam for 10 minutes.
- 3.Combine steamed grated potato with cornflour (cornstarch), salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl while it is still hot, mixing well.
- 4.Scoop out 1?4 cup (55g) potato mixture onto a piece of cling film (or with a plastic glove) then, using the cling film/glove, flatten and shape the potato into a 1cm thick oval shape. Using cling film prevents the potato mixture from sticking to your hand and making a mess.
- 5.Repeat the same process with the rest of the grated potato mixture, you should be able to make 4-6 hash browns.
- 6.Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add the hash browns one at a time, leaving a gap between each one so they don’t stick together.
- 7.Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side. They should take around 5 minutes per side.
- 8.Remove hash browns from pan, and remove excess oil by patting with kitchen towels, sprinkle with additional salt if needed, serve with ketchup or vegan mayonnaise.