- Prep: 60 Mins / Cook: 30 Mins
- Serves 2
Flavored with chai and rooibos, these gorgeous homemade Belgian waffles are irresistibly good! Gently toasted in the waffle iron and served with a sweet date puree and a cinnamon and nutmeg spiced coconut butter, they are packed with protein and will keep hunger firmly at bay! Crispy on the outside and feather-light on the inside, try out our delicious waffles in your meal plan this week!High Protein
* Switch between cup/oz and g/ml in Account Settings*
- All Purpose Flour All Purpose Flour 90g 3/4 cup
- Cornstarch Cornflour 30g 1/4 cup
- Baking Powder Baking Powder 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda Bicarbonate of Soda 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- Loose Rooibos Chai Tea Loose Rooibos Chai Tea 3 tea bags 3 tea bags
- Brown Sugar Brown Sugar 3 tbsp 3 tbsp
- Table Salt Table Salt 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- Buttermilk Buttermilk 180ml 3/4 cup
- Vegetable Oil Vegetable Oil 60ml 1/4 cup
- Organic Eggs Organic Eggs 1 1
- Vanilla Extract Vanilla Extract 1 tsp 1 tsp
- Pitted Dates Pitted Dates 90g 1/2 cup
- Water Water 125ml 1/2 cup
- Shredded Coconut Shredded Coconut 50g 1/2 cup
- Ground Cinnamon Ground Cinnamon 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg Ground Nutmeg 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
- 1.Add dates and boiling water to a small bowl and cover for 1hr.
- 2.Add softened dates to a blender and pulse until smooth (butter like consistency), store in fridge until ready to use.
- 3.Add coconut and spices to a blender and process until smooth (roughly 10-15min - stop blender every couple of minutes to scrape coconut from sides of the machine) and store in a closed container until ready to use.
- 4.Cut open the teabags to use the leaves.
- 5.Place flour, corn flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, rooibos chai tea leaves, brown sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- 6.Add buttermilk, olive oil and egg yolk to dry mixture and whisk until smooth.
- 7.Whisk eggwhites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- 8.Gently fold egg whites into flour mixture to combine.
- 9.Preheat a lightly greased waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 10.Spoon 3 tbsp batter into waffle maker and remove once golden brown and crispy.
- 11.Reheat coconut butter in microwave for 10min if hardened.
- 12.Top waffles with coconut butter and date butter and serve immediately.
- 13.Note: Use tea leaves from roughly 3 tea bags. You can use any type of tea leaves - I find that mildly spicy leaves work best.**Use either shredded coconut or flakes, not dessicated coconut. ***Leftover date butter can be stored in a closed container in the fridge and reused later; leftover coconut butter can be stored in a closed container at room temperature.