- Prep: 60 Mins / Cook: 40 Mins
- Serves 12
A typical argentinian dish vegan-ified.Dairy Free
* Switch between cup/oz and g/ml in Account Settings*
- For the dough:
- 405 White Flour 405 White Flour 360g 3 cups
- Sunflower Oil Sunflower Oil 2 and 1/2 tbsp 2 & 1/2 tbsp
- Water Water 250ml 1 cup
- Table Salt Table Salt 2 tsp 2 tsp
- For the filling:
- Textured Soy Protein Textured Soy Protein 120g 1 & 1/2 cup
- Bouillon Vegetable Powder Bouillon Vegetable Powder 1 tsp 1 tsp
- Medium Potatoes Medium Potatoes 2 2
- Yellow Onion Brown Onion 2 2
- Red Bell Pepper Red Bell Pepper 1/2 1/2
- Yellow Bell Pepper Yellow Bell Pepper 1/2 1/2
- Spring Onion Spring Onion 1 1
- Raisins Raisins 75g 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar Brown Sugar 1 tsp 1 tsp
- Red Wine Red Wine 125ml 1/2 cup
- Water Water 60ml 1/4 cup
- 1.For the dough: Mix the flour with the salt, make a hole in the middle and add the oil. Stir a little then add warm water slowly till you get a dough consistency. Cover with a cloth and set aside for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- 2.Divide the dough in 4. Put some flour on the table and stretch the dough until it has a depth of 1mm. Cut it into disks of 10cm diameter.
- 3.For the filling: Place the textured soya into a bowl and add the red wine, boiled water and the vegetable powder. Add the liquids slowly, moving the soya trying to see if it can absorb more liquid or not. The soya will double in size. Taste and add salt if desired.
- 4.Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes in oven 180°C. Cut the olives into small pieces. Soak the raisins with hot water for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- 5.Cut the onions, paprika and spring onion and saute them in a pan. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the textured soya, potatoes, green olives, raisins and the sugar until this is all mixing together.
- 6.Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the middle of the disk dough and seal it in the middle with both sides of the dough.
- 7.Twist the dough to prevent the filling from leaking making your own design.
- 8.Bake the empanadas for about 15 minutes at 180°C.
- 9.Tip: You can brush the empanadas with some vegan butter and spread it with sugar.